Sunday, April 17, 2011

RIP My Old Iron

It happened yesterday.  My iron died.  One moment we were ironing away and the next time I went to pick it up it was luke warm and fading fast.  I stopped what I was doing "I need an iron, I can't live without an iron."  I hopped in my car and headed into town.  I was a woman on a mission.

I have not had a lot of luck with irons. I had a Rowenta but that wore out after only a year and a half, then I went with a Black and Decker it had a short life as well.  I finally gave up and bought the cheapest iron I could find...a Sunbeam.  It lasted just over 6 months.

I don't know about you but I sort of have relationships with my appliances...my sweet toaster who doesn't object when I jam 4 pieces of bread in to two slots, my vacuum that had sucked up legos and my boys underpants when I was too tired (or lazy) to pick them up, and last but not least my iron. 

I don't like my appliances to break and I don't like buying a new ones. 

My first stop on my quest for a new iron was a local fabric store because I had a 50% off coupon, but the girl as the register said "you obviously didn't read the fine print, irons are not included." I left the Simplicity iron on the shelf because I wasn't 'in-love' with it anyway.   I headed over to Lowes. 

Lowes had three irons, two of which looked like vintage irons of the 60's, the other one had an inch of dust on it and the label on the bottom of it has permanenly bonded to it.  So I jumped in my trusty VW and headed to Bed, Bath & Beyond...And there it was The Shark!  Reasonably priced, sleek, self-cleaning....yep this was an iron that I could learn to love.

I stuck it under my arm, wandered to check out, and headed home.

When I got home I bagged up my old Sunbeam and carried it to the dumpster.  Rest in peace my old friend we made yards of beautiful bias tape together.  You'll be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment